Nigerian Breweries Plc, were incorporated in the year 1946, which happen to be the pioneer and largest brewing company in Nigeria. Its first bottle of beer, STAR Lager, rolled off the bottling lines of its Lagos brewery in June 1949. Other breweries were also subsequently commissioned by the company, including Aba Brewery in 1957, Kaduna Brewery in 1963, and Ibadan Brewery in 1982. In September 1993, the company acquired its fifth brewery in Enugu state, and in October 2003, its sixth brewery, sited at Ameke in Enugu. Ama Brewery began brewing on the 22 March 2003 and at 3 million hectoliters production capacity is the largest brewery in Nigeria. Operations at Enugu brewery were discontinued in 2004, while the company acquired a malting Plant in Aba in 2008.
In October 2011, Nigerian Breweries Plc acquired majority Shares interests in Sona Systems Associates Business Management Limited, (Sona Systems) and Life Breweries Limited from Heineken N.V. This followed Heineken’s acquisition of controlling interests in five breweries in Nigeria from Sona Group in January 2011.
The Sona Systems’ with two breweries in Ota and Kaduna, and Life Breweries in Onitsha have now become part of Nigerian Breweries Plc, coming on board with its three brands: Goldberg lager, Malta Gold and Life Continental lager.
On the 31st Of December 2014, Nigerian Breweries Plc completed the merger with Consolidated Breweries Plc which added the three breweries in Ijebu-ode, Awo-Omama and Makurdi to the company and also with the brands 33 Export Lager, Williams Dark Ale, Turbo King Stout, More Lager, Breezer, Himalt and Maltex(the first Nigerian malt drink).
However In November 2015, Nigerian Breweries launched the international brand Strongbow cider which makes it the first in Nigeria to produce and bottle the cider category beverage.
Nigerian Breweries Plc now has ten operational breweries from which its products are distributed to all parts of Nigeria, in addition to the malting plants in Aba and Kaduna. Nigerian Breweries also supports operations in Champion Breweries Plc, Uyo.
List Of Nigeria Brewery Plc Factories In Nigeria
Lagos brewery Established in June 1949
Kaduna Brewery Established In 1963
Ibadan Brewery Established in 1982
Enugu. Ama Brewery Established in 2004
Life Breweries in Onitsha Aquired from Sona System In 2011
Ijebu-ode Brewery Aquired From Consolidated Breweries Plc on the 31st December 2014
Awo-Omama Brewery Aquired From Consolidated Breweries Plc on the 31st December 2014
Makurdi Brewery Also Aquired From Consolidated Breweries Plc on the 31st December 2014
Uyo Brewery Plant Establish In 2015.
Nigeria Brewery Products And Their Year Of Lunch
- Star Lager (launched in 1949) Pale Lager
- Gulder lager beer(1970) Pale Lager
- Legend Extra Stout (1992) 7.5% ABV Extra Stout
- Heineken Lager(June 1998) Premium Lager
- Goldberg Lager (October 2011)
- Life Continental Lager (October 2011)
- Star Lite Lager (February 2014) Pale Lager
- Ace Passion Apple Spark (December 2014)
- 33 Export Lager (January 2015)
- Williams Dark Ale (January 2015)
- Turbo King Stout (January 2015)
- More Lager (January 2015)
- Breezer (January 2015), in three varieties of fruit-flavoured bacardi drink
- Ace Roots (April 2015)
- Star Radler (July 2015)
- Ace Rhythm (September 2015)
- Star TripleX (September 2015)
- Strongbow Cider (November 2015)
- Maltina (1976), in three varieties, namely Maltina Classic, Maltina Strawberry, and Maltina Pineapple; Maltina Sip-it (2005), in Tetrapak;
- AmstelMalta (1994).
- Fayrouz, in pear, pineapple and exotic flavour(2006)
- Climax Energy drink
- Malta Gold (October 2011)
- Himalt (January 2015)
- Maltex (January 2015)