Nigeria Custom Service: The Cost Of Clearing Different Types Of Vehicles And All You Must Know



The Nigeria custom service is known to be saddled with the responsibility of clearing all cars or vehicles coming into this country. Irrespective of the port the came in through as well as the type of car it may be, it must be cleared with appropriate documentation before it is being used in the country.

 

In Nigeria, the cost of clearing a car via the Nigeria custom service is of major concern to Nigerians especially in the last few years. This is because of what the price may eventually turn out to be. Owning a car is more of necessity than a luxury which explains why car buying expenses is very important to look into.

 

There are two major ways you can buy a car into Nigeria. You can either buy from abroad or through Cotonou. If you are buying your car from Cotonou, it will be cleared at the Seme border while cars from abroad can be cleared at other ports which include Tin can ports, Apapa ports etc. The cost at the border often covers custom duty, clearing agent fee and port charge.

 

 

Car Clearing Charges

Long before now, the car clearing charges as approved by the Nigeria Federal Government and implemented by Nigeria custom service determines charges by the size of the car and the model of the car. This means that cars of older year of manufacture were cheaper to clear than those of recent year of manufacture.

 

Recently, the clearing charges took a new dimension as the Nigerian federal government began to base clearing charges on 35% of the cost of the car as duty with another 35% of the cost price as levy. Altogether, it is 70% of the cost price of the car for clearing the car. This means that if a car cost N1000000, the total amount that will be used to clear that car will be N700000. So, in all you will spend N1700000 to acquire a N1000000 car.

 

READ ALSO- Mineral Resources In Nigeria And All The Important Information About Them

 

Car Clearance Verification

There seems to be lots of cars in town without proper clearance and if detected, it could spur some fines and a proper clearing payment. However, there is a way to check if your car was properly cleared. Simply send an SMS containing the chassis number of your car, the year the duty was paid and the port through which your car came to any of these numbers 094621597, 094621599 or 094621598. You will get a response in few minutes that will tell you if it was duly cleared or not.

 

If your car has not been duly cleared, please visit any of the zonal office for proper clearing. You can also verify the status of your car at any of these zonal offices. Below are the zonal offices with their addresses.

 

List Of Nigeria Custom Service Zonal Offices 

Zone A Headquarters

No. 1 Harvey Road, Yaba, Lagos.

 

Zone B Headquarters

Kabala Doki, Kaduna

 

Zone C Headquarters

Nigeria Ports Authority, Port Harcourt

 

Zone D Headquarters

Yelwa Tudu Road, Bauchi State

 

National Headquarters

Nigeria Customs Service Headquarters, Abidjan Street,Wuse, P.M.B. 26, Zone 3, Abuja – FCT, Nigeria.

 



If you have any further enquiry, you may forward an email of enquiry to info@customs.gov.ng, paarhelpdesk@customs.gov.ng, pro@customs.gov.ng or call any of these numbers 09-4621597, 4621598, 4621599.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *