The National Open University of Nigeria is the first of its kind in the Western part of African sub-region. It is an Open and Distance Learning (ODL) institution owned by the Federal Government of Nigeria. The National Open University, is one of Nigeria’s largest tertiary institution when it comes to the number of student attending the institution.
It is popularly referred to as ‘NOUN’.
National Open University Admission Requirement
- Every candidate applying to the National Open University must possess at least five (5) credits in the SSCE, GCE, NECO, or NABTEB examination, or in any of their acceptable equivalents at not more than two (2) sittings. The five credit passes should be obtained in the subject combination relevant to the most preferred field of study.
- Teachers’ Grade II Certificates with at least five (5) merits or its combination and any of the O’level or SSCE results would be accepted.
How To Apply To The National Open University
- All applicants are to visit the institution website at nouonline.net
- On the homepage, navigate to the Menu Bar, and click on the tab “Apply for Admission”
- Select from the options, the one you wish to apply;
- Undergraduate Programme, Postgraduate Programme or a PhD Programme. This are the only programmes available in the institution for now.
- On the Admission Portal page, Navigate through to the left hand side of the screen to the ‘Choose Faculty’ section.
- Click on the box that reads “Faculty” and choose the faculty you wish to apply for.
The faculties available are:
Faculty of Agriculture, Faculty of Arts , Faculty of Education , Faculty of Health Sciences , Faculty of Management Sciences , Faculty of Sciences and Faculty of Social Sciences.
- Choose your most preferred course under this faculty.
- A brief form would be displayed.
This is the pre-payment form, fill it with the required details.
- Click the “Apply” button to continue.
*Note, the apply button may not work.
If it does this, click “View Requirements’ and click the apply button again, it would respond.
- A Unique ID would be given to you. It would be displayed on the page that loads next.
- Now is the time to make payment.
You can either make payment online by using your debit card details or by the Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) platform.
- Choose the option that best suit you.
- Payment with debit card details would give you access to your online application form once payment is complete, but the Remita Retrieval Reference platform would require you to take your RRR number to the bank to make payment before accessing your application form.
Any of the method would require bank charges.
- Either way you make payment, once payment is successful you would be required to log in to your portal and click on the tab “Continue After Payment”.
- Now input the Unique ID given to you few steps above, RRR number(if you used the platform), and your choice of programme.
- Click on the “Proceed” button and begin to fill your National Open University Application Form.
*All required details marked with a red star must be provided.
- Submit the online form to the school via the website.
The National Open University is a ‘work and study’ scheme.
It is good for people who wan to combine study with work, as it is a distant learning program.