The Nigerian Passport is a document issued to Nigerians to enable them travel outside the country. It also serve as a form of identification for Nigerian citizens and is used in official transactions. The Nigerian Passport is issued out to only citizens that applied for it but it can be issued to all Nigerian citizens.
In the recent times, Nigeria now issue electronic passport only in lieu of the old paper type. This means that the paper passport is no longer available. The e-passport is of two types namely, the standard and official e-passport. The difference between the two is base on their usage and persons issued. The standard e-passport type is the general one issue to all citizens while the official e-passport is issued to Government officials at any level.
Requirements For Passport Application
Application for passport requires some documents which could be taken to any of their office nationwide or simply scanned to them via their website portal during passport application. Here is a list of the documents required:
- A well filled application form (filled and printed online)
- Birth certificate or age declaration.
- Guarantor’s form sworn to before a commissioner of Oaths or Magistrate or High Court Judge
- Recent colour passport photographs showing to neck.
- Marriage certificate where applicable
- Parents’ letter of consent for minors below the age of 18 years
- Processing fee (N15,000)
- Guarantor’s photocopy of Driver’s license or National ID.
- Guarantor’s photocopy of Data page of Nigerian standard Passport
- For official e-passport application, letter of introduction from appropriate State Government or Federal Government Ministry.
- Letter of appointment or last promotion letter is also required for official e-passport application.
How To Apply For E-Passport
You may apply for passport at the immigration office nationwide or simply through their official website portal. Kindly follow through the steps below:
- Log on to https://portal.immigration.gov.ng
- Navigate and access the application form online.
- Navigate and click on the e-passport tab
- Select the passport type
- The country from which you are processing it from.
- Fill up the form with your correct details and confirm that they are correct.
- Upload the scanned copies of required documents.
- Choose your payment method and make payments.
In the case of a misplaced, stolen or exhausted passport, you will be required to renew the passport. This may require your presence at the immigration head office at Abuja. Most people advice that you apply afresh as it may take about two to three weeks.
Requirements For Passport Renewal
- A Police report
- Two white background passport photographs
- Passport number of the missing or stolen or old passport.
- N20,000 renewal fee.
Applicants are expected to apply in person for the renewal.
For further enquiry, you may call 2348119753844 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org you may also visit immigration office close to you.
Please note that all intending applicants are NOT TO PAY CASH at the Nigeria Immigration Offices or to any Agents. All payments are to be make directly to the Nigeria Immigration Service Account only and not to any Agent or Officials. Kindly Visit the NIS Website for more direction as regards the payment.