On the 13th of March 2018, Alhaji Abdulazeez Abubakar Yari, the Governor of Zamfara State, was presented by the National Universities Commission (NUC), with the Certificate of Recognition of Zamfara State University Talata-Mafara, making it the 47th State University, 87th Public University and 162nd, making Zamfara State the last State in Nigeria to establish a state university.
The State government had set aside N3billion as take-off fund for the university. From this N3billion, N1billion will be for staff training, N1billion for establishment fund while the remaining N1billion has been earmarked for laboratory equipment.
The courses to be offered will cut across social and natural sciences to quickly tackle the manpower issues of the country.
This is coming at a time when the NUC is in the process of repositioning itself to better regulate the activities of the Nigerian University System. Students of the Institution are assured of NYSC mobilization after graduation.
The admission processes are highly competitive and strictly based on merit, this is because of the high number of students wishing to study in the newly established Zamfara State University. Admission is offered based on O level grades and JAMB score.
Requirements And Zamfara State University Post UTME Cutoff Mark
Every Candidate must possess at least 5 credit passes in subjects related to their fields of study which must include English Language and mathematics at GCE O’Level, WASCE, SSCE, NECO or any approved equivalents (a combination of 2 sittings alone is allowed).
ND/HND at credit level in related discipline and NCE with passes at merit level in relevant subjects.
READ ALSO- How To Get Jamb Past Questions And Answer Online In Nigeria
The candidate must make at least 180 and above pass mark in JAMB to qualify for internal screening by the (ZASU) Zamfara State University Talata-Mafara. See Below for courses offered in the university and their cut off marks;
- 240 Medicine and Nursing
- 200 – Anatomy, Pharmacy, Physiology, Mass Communication, Common Law.
- 190 – Biochemistry, Geology, Computer Science, microbiology, English Language, all engineering courses apart from Agricultural and Biosystem Engineering.
- 180 – Every other departments
Any Applicant that seeks admission into any of these departments MUST attain the minimum UTME scores for their chosen courses, as well as having the right UTME subject combinations as directed in the
JAMB Brochure and ‘O’ Level subjects at credit level related to their desired field of study. .
COURSES TO BE OFFERED IN ZAMFARA STATE UNIVERSITY TALATA MAFARA ZAMFARA STATE (ZAMSU)
FACULTY OF SCIENCES
- Biology 2. Microbiology 3. Biotechnology 4. Pure Chemistry 5. Biochemistry 6. Geology 7. Computer Science 8. Mathematics 9. Statistics 10. Physics 11. Electronic
FACULTY OF ART & ISLAMIC STUDIES
1.Arabic 2. Islamic studies 3. History 4. English language 5. English Literature 6. Mass communication
FACULTY OF MANAGEMENT SCIENCES
- Accounting and Finance 2. Public administration
FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE
- Agricultural extension 2. Fisheries 3. Forestry and wildlife
FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
- Economics 2. Geography 3. Political science 4. International Relations 5. Industrial Relations and personal management 6. Sociology 7. Criminology and security studies
FACULTY OF HEALTH SCIENCES
- Nursing 2. Radiography 3. Nutrition and Dietetics 4. Physiotherapy.