The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) is a professional accountancy body in Nigeria. It was founded on the 1st September, 1965. It was founded with the sole purpose of Encouraging professionalism in the accountancy profession in Nigeria. It was created by an Act of Parliament No. 15 of 1 September 1965. ICAN started with 250 members and has now grown to over 35,000 members today. Her headquarters is in Lagos.
ICAN’s mission statement is “To Produce World-Class Chartered Accountants, Regulate and Continuously Enhance Their Ethical Standards and Technical Competence in the Public Interest.” ICAN adopts the practices of British chartered accountancy institutes. She is currently a member of the International Accounting Standards Committee (IASC). She also adopts IASC standards once in a while.
In Nigeria, for anyone to practice as an accountant, he or she must be a member of ICAN. This means you must have registered and written their examinations as well as pass the examinations to be able to become a full fledged member.
However, being a member has nothing to do with whether or not you study accountancy or related course. There is a laid down procedure for the application process.
Requirements For ICAN Membership
- A University degree or Higher National Diploma from any Polytechnic accredited by ICAN.
- O level result which must contain at least five credits passes.
- A recent passport photograph.
ICAN Registration Steps
- Visit any Fidelity or Zenith Bank to obtain PIN voucher at a non refundable fee.
- Log on to ICAN website with the information on the PIN voucher.
- Navigate and click on Students’ Professional Registration.
- Fill in all the required information of the form on the web page.
- Scan a recent passport photograph of yourself on the form.
- Submit the form by clicking on submit.
- Endeavour to print out a copy of the application form.
- Sign the printed application form.
- Get a chartered accountant as your referee or your sponsor.
- Input your referee or sponsor’s name, membership number and phone number.
- Avail the printed application form with the photocopy of your credentials to your Referee for certification.
- Then attach the original copy of the pin voucher, two copies of signed passport photographs, original copy of the bank teller and the application form. Then send completed form to ICAN head office in Lagos for consideration. Your application will be reviewed and if granted, you will be granted a student registration number. Your registration number becomes your log in details on the ICAN website. You can now print out your registration certificate online.
Once you become a member, you can now register for examination and be able to write examinations. There are three stages which you must pass through to get to your professional cadre. The stages include:
- Foundation Stage
There are five papers at this level.
- Skills Stage
There are 6 papers at this level.
- Professional Stage
There are five papers at this level.
For any of the levels, registration can be done online via the ICAN website. Payment are allowed via Pay direct.
How To Check ICAN Result Online
You can check your ICAN examination results online by following through the steps below:
- Log on to http://icanig.org
- At the right hand side of the web page, you will see “students” which has a list under it, click on “more” below the list.
- On the next page click on “Check Your Examination Result”
- On the next page which is the result checking page, select and input the required details which include Examination Diet, Student Examination Number, Student Registration Number etc.
- Verify the details and if they are all correct, click on “Check Exam Result” and your results will be displayed.
- You may print your results to have a hard copy of it.
If you have any challenge checking your results or any other enquiry, you may send an email to email@example.com or kindly visit16, Idowu Taylor Street, Victoria Island, Lagos if you are close by. You may also call 01-7642294 – 5 or fax via 4627048.