The International English Language Testing System or (IELTS) is an international standardised test used to test English language proficiency for non-native English language speakers. This examination body is in collaboration and is been managed by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment. The examination was established in 1989 and has grown since then till now so much that it is currently accepted as evidence of English language proficiency by over 9,000 organizations worldwide which include higher education institutions, government agencies, professional associations as well as employers of labour. It has more than 1,100 test centers in over 140 countries of the worldwide.
IELTS have two examination modules which include Academic Module and General Training Module. The IELTS test consists of four parts which includes the following. Listening (30 minutes), Reading (60 minutes), Writing (60 minutes) and Speaking (11–14 minutes). The test has a total duration is 2 hours and 55 minutes.
IELTS Registration Processes
To register for the IELTS examination, please follow the steps below;
- Log on to www.britishcouncil.org.ng/exam/ielts
- Navigate and click on register
- Select and choose country, test centers and the test module.
- It will list tests with dates. Select the date convenient for you and click on “apply” before the date.
- Read through terms and conditions and click on agree to proceed.
- Next is to fill in your Bio data and upload scanned documents required.
- Make payment online for the examination. The fee is N68,000.
It is important to keep your registration details as well as your login details. They will required during result checking time.
Things To Note
- It is important to use the name on your international passport for your registration.
- Ensure you register for the exact module you need for the purpose of writing the test.
- Your result will be ready in not more than 13 days after the test.
- Your speaking test will come up within 4-7 days of your test. Please note that your speaking test cannot be rescheduled and you must come with your international passport that was used for registration.
- Use a well stated mailing address. Do not use P.O Box or PMB or your results may not be delivered. You may as well pick up the result at your test center.
How To Check Results Online
To check your IELTS result online, please follow the steps below;
- Log on to https://www.britishcouncil.org.ng/exam/school/results/getting
- Navigate and click on “Cambridge Candidate Results service”
- It will take you to a login page where you will be able login with the username and password provided by your local British Council office.
- Navigate and click on check result and it will be displayed to you.
IELTS Centers Nationwide
IELTS has nine centers in Nigeria where you can register, make enquiry, write the test as well as pick up results. Below are the contact details of six of the centers:
British Council – Abuja
Address: IELTS Administrator Abuja
British Council – Lagos
Address: IELTS Administrator, 20 Thompson Avenue
PO Box 53702, Falomo Ikoyi, Lagos
British Council – Benin City
Address: IELTS Administrator Benin City
British Council – Ibadan
Address: IELTS Administrator Ibadan
British Council – Calabar
Address: IELTS Administrator Calabar
British Council – Port Harcourt
Address: IELTS Administrator Port Harcourt