The university of Benin is a first generation federal university established in 1970. It started as an institute of Technology and attained the full status of a university by the National Universities Commission (NCC) on July 1,1971.
UniBen offers courses at various levels such as undergraduate, postgraduate, diploma and certificate at both full time and part time study mode. The university produced the first Nigerian vice chancellor in person of Grace Alele-Williams who headed the university from 1985-1991.
School Of Postgraduate Studies
UniBen school of postgraduate studies was established on October 1981, eleven years after the university’s inception. It is headed by a dean who in conjunction with the Board of the school exercises overall review and supervision of all postgraduate programs and activities. The postgraduate school is burdened with the task of identifying areas of research that will lead to major advances and breakthrough in various fields of learning. It is also concerned with establishing and streamlining procedures, expanding opportunities for postgraduate training and research and also encouraging the introduction of new programs and revision of old programs.
- Applicants must possess at least five credit passes in O’level that is WAEC/NECO/GCE including Maths and English.
- A first degree not lower than than a second class lower. Third class degree holders must possess PGD in order to be qualified for a masters admission.
- Applicants applying for PGD must possess any of the following: a first degree from a university/HND from an accredited polytechnic with four credits of ordinary level plus OND or NCE or advanced level passes.
- Applicants for PhD who have obtained masters degree but with weighted average score below 60% (55-59) can only be admitted into the M.phil program in the first instance
- Ph.D applicants must possess a masters degree with a weighted average score of 60% from any recognized university.
- All students must possess NYSC discharge certificate, exemption letter or exclusion certificate before they can be admitted
- All applicants should request for their transcript from their former institutions and forward to the university. Referee reports should also be mailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or to the secretary, school of postgraduate studies.
READ ALSO- College Of Education COED Ilorin: How To Register Courses, Check Result And Pay School Fees Online
Postgraduate Admission Process
- Applicants should purchase online application form for #20,000 using their Master ATM card or Verve card from any commercial bank in Nigeria.
- Fill the form correctly and accurately with all necessary information then submit online and print out the completed form at myuniben.org.
- Download Referee report and transcript request forms from the website. Ensure the forms are filled and the transcripts forwarded i order for your application to be attended to.
- Students who have been offered provisional admission into UniBen postgraduate program will pay a nonrefundable fee of #45,000 consisting of the following:
- Bank or Portal charges #5000
- Admission clearance #23,000
- MTN Net Library #1000
- ICT Levy #6000
- Development levy #15000
- Students should pay their tuition fees for the session to the designated banks approved by the school’ s management. Here’s a list of the schoolfees depending on the program and discipline.
- PGD computer/Engineering #100,000
- MBA #200,000
- M.SC Management science #200,000
- MBF #150,000
- M.Ed #100,000
- M.Sc/M.Eng Engineering #120,000
- M.LLM law #120,000
- M.Sc Economics #120,000
- MPA #120,000
- M.Sc Political science #100,000
- M.Sc Physical science/Pharmacy/Environment mngt #120,000
- M.Sc Agric/Natural Res/life sciences/Geophysics #100,000
- MPH/MPHE/MHPM #150,000
- Ph.D #150,000-#200,000.