Ahmadu Bello University is a federal government research and learning university in Zaria, Kaduna State. It was founded on October 4,1962 and was then called the University of Northern Nigeria before it was renamed after Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello who was the first premier of Northern Nigeria and also the Sardauna of Sokoto. The university operates two campuses.
The Permanent campus is situated in Samaru which has the administrative offices and the faculties of life sciences, physical sciences, Natural sciences, social sciences, arts and languages, education, environmental design, medical sciences, agricultural sciences and the faculty of engineering and the research facilities. The mini campus located at Kongo is home to the faculty of law and administration. ABU awards a wide variety of post secondary, undergraduate, graduate and associate degrees. It also offers vocational and remedial programmes.
ABU School Of Basic And Remedial Studies
The school of Basic and Remedial studies was established in 2003 in order to improve the performance of students being admitted into the ABU undergraduate programme especially those with deficiencies with their O’level result. It was also set up to equip and prepare students ready to gain admission into ABU to pass O’ levels and JAMB successfully in order to gain admission into the university.
The Remedial programme is mainly set up to last for a period of nine months, which is divided into two semesters of learning. Students receive lecturers from Mondays-Thursdays and write a weekly C.A test on Fridays.
Entry Requirements Into ABU Remedial Programme
Applicants must possess at least three credit passes in English (Compulsory) and any three of Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Physics in WAEC/NECO/GCE.
All admitted students into the programme are placed into any one of
four academic groups which are:
- RS1:- Biology, Chemistry and Geography.
- RS2:- Biology, Chemistry and Physics
- RS3:- Biology, Geography and Physics
- RS4:- Chemistry, Geography and Physics.
Entry Requirements Into ABU Undergraduate Through Remedial
- Students trying fo obtain admission through Remedial programmes must obtain a minimum of 2.0 CGPA from three subjects in any one of the combinations above.
- Remedial students must choose ABU as first choice in JAMB and score 180 or above in UTME
- Remedial students must have cleared all their O’ levels results and obtained five credit passes in relevant subjects.
Application Process Into School Of Basic And Remedial Programme
- Applicants should visit any of the designated banks to obtain an E-transaction PIN. Pay the sum of #5000 at any of these banks to obtain your E-transaction PIN. Designated banks are:- ABU Microfinance Bank, First Bank, Unity Bank, UBA and Zenith bank
- Visit the website at www.sbrsabu.org and click on the “Application” link from the Menu
- Enter your teller number and E- transaction PIN for validation
- Complete the form with the correct and appropriate information and upload your passport photograph (120px ×120px) and not less than 40kb
- Review the information then click the submit button
- Print out the form and Pre-Entrance Exam card from the website
Registration Process For Newly Admitted Remedial Students
- Present your downloaded forms and examination card for verification at the school gate
- After verification, proceed to C15 for Bio data Screening and present originals and photocopies of the following documents: Primary School leaving certificate, Local government indegene certificate, birth certificate and O’level result
- Kindly Proceed to the Geography laboratory for Academic Screening and there after submit the documents as stated above. After screening, you would be given a stamped bank teller
- Proceed to the school multimedia centre to collect your admission letter.
- Proceed to Zenith bank Funtua with the endorsed teller and pay the registration fees and school fees of #70,400
- Return to Geography laboratory to collect school receipt then go to the academic registration desk to complete your academic registration, submit a copy of your admission letter to collect an SBRS registration number
- Go to the security office with two passport photographs (White background) for ID card processing then proceed to students Affairs Unit for accommodation.