Normally, any citizen of a country that intent to travel to the united states must get a visa first before travelling, either the person get an immigrant visa which is for permanent residence or gets a non-immigrant visa which is meant for those who intent to visit the U.S. it is also possible for citizens of a qualified country under the U.S. visa waiver program to travel to the united states without a visa.
However, if your country do not qualify for the U.S. visa waiver program, or you are visiting for work, study, tourism or participate in an exchange program, then it is compulsory you apply for a non-immigrant U.S. visa.
All the applicants for the United States visa are expected to personally come for the visa interview at the office of the U.S embassy in Abuja or the office of the consulate general located in Lagos. It is advisable that you schedule an appointment with the U.S embassy for that interview, either you do it online via the U.S embassy call center or through www.ustraveldocs.com
- You will need to provide a visa application fee payment receipt from Gtbank
- You will need to have working telephone number or mobile number and a valid email address
- You will need to have a valid international passport for travelling to the United States which must have at least 6 months validity period and more than the period you intend to spend in the United States. You should also note that if more than one person is included in your passport, then for each of them that wants a U.S visa must submit a separate application.
- You will need to provide your DS – 160 confirmation page
- You will be required to provide specific documents based on the kind of visa you are applying like a copy of your petition approval for any petition based visas, 1-20 which is meant for student visas, DS-2019 meant for visitors exchange visas, etc. for more information regarding different type of visas and information on each of the type can be found on ustraveldocs.com
READ ALSO- France Embassy In Lagos: How To Apply For Visa, The Requirements And All You Must Know
Restrictions For Changing Appointments
All intending applicants should note that you are limited to the number of time you are to reschedule an appointment with the U.S embassy. Please make sure you have an adequate plan concerning your appointment with the embassy, so that you won’t be asked to pay another visa application fee and start the processes all over again.
The Appointment Wait Time
All visa applicant are processed as quickly as possible and all the U.S embassy’s office and consulates tries as much as possible to make the applicants appointment waiting time very short, but however, the earlier you schedule your appointment with the U.S embassy, the more likely you will get the interview date and time that would suite you.
For the non-immigrant U.S visa applicants, you are advised to apply for at least three months before the intended date of your travelling.