Imo state University is a prestigious institution for learning in Nigeria. The school is located at the heart of the Vibrant city of Owerri. Owerri is known Nationwide as a city for unwinding hence the named given to it by visitors ” Ngwori centre”. Imo state University offers quality Education to all it’s students and also boasts of highly regarded professors in different academic field of study.
The School has one of the best law faculty in all of Nigeria. Imo state University offers the basic Bsc degree to students but also offers master degree and PhD degree to those who inspire to reach such academic heights. This article will expose you to know about Imsu Requirements for a post graduate position in the citadel of learning.
What Is Imo State University Postgraduate Admission Requirements
The Requirements for admission to pursue a Master’s degree and a PhD degree in IMSU are very basic but important. Aspiring Candidates who don’t possess the required Requirements won’t be offered admission to study in the Institution. The Requirements asked by Imo state University are:
- That All prospective applicants should possess 5 O’level Credit passes at not more than 2 sittings from WASC, GCE, NABTEB, NECO or TC II. For all Social Science courses offered, a credit in Mathematics is required. Aside the required UME of five credits, two of the credits must be in English and Mathematics in all disciplines in the Faculty of Education. Applicants who do not satisfy the O’level requirements for the courses of choice shall not be considered for admission. There are also specific Departmental or Faculty requirements, which applicants must possess to be considered for admission to pursue postgraduate degree.
What are the Department or Faculty Requirements?
For Masters Degree Programmes
- A minimum of Bachelor’s Degree with second class honours in relevant discipline with a minimum CGPA of 0 on a 5-point scale is required.
- CGPA of 2.4 on 4-point scale, minimum of 60% on 100% scale or Postgraduate Diploma at Credit or Higher level in the relevant discipline, or equivalent qualification.
- For Masters Degree in Education,the candidates must possess adequate mathematics knowledge.
- Applicants for Architecture will be required to appear for interview to be evaluated properly.
- Business management applicants must have a minimum of five years postgraduate working experience to be considered
- Applicants for the Masters programme will undergo a screening test on a date fixed by the appropriate school management.
PhD Degree Programmes
- A Masters degree in the relevant discipline or equivalent qualifications with a 3.5 CGPA on 5-point scale or 3.00 on a 4-point scale.
- They Applicants for the PhD programme will take a screening test on a date to be fixed. Applicants will find information on this on the SPGS website (www.imsu.edu.ng).
The NYSC Discharge or Exemption Certificate
Applicants must provide some photo Copies of their NYSC discharge certificate or exemption certificate
Those seeking to undergo studies for postgraduate degree are to write to their former institutions to forward authenticated copies of their transcripts under sealed cover directly to Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies . Applicants must know that absence of an official transcript, their application will not be processed
MINIMUM DURATION OF IMSU POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES
The usual duration for PHD programs is two semesters for full-time and four semesters for part-time students. For Masters Students, it is three semesters for full-time and six semesters for part-time. Ph.D Programmes have a minimum of six semesters for full time and eight semesters for part-time. Also, every candidate in a regular employment should submit with their application, a formal letter of release for commencement of Postgraduate studies issued by their employers.
APPLICATION METHOD FOR IMSU POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES
All applicants can get to collect scratch cards from the following Banks: ZENITH BANK, DIAMOND BANK, FIRST BANK, ECO BANK, IMO MICRO FINANCE, UBA and FCMB for a sum of Twenty Thousand Naira (N20,000) and log on to Imo state University website at www.imsu.edu.ng to complete the application form, print and submit a copy at the School of Postgraduate Studies.