It’s no news that fashion designing is fast becoming an A list profession in Nigeria and beyond. Fashion is something that keeps evolving, it’s always changing. From one style to another. Fashion designing is influenced by weather, tradition, culture, style, personal taste, trends, religious beliefs and other factors.
Fashion designing in Nigeria is very bold, fun, creative and beautiful. We have a wide range of fashion designers like Toyin Lawani, Deola Sagoe, Lisa Folawiyo, Mai Atafo, Folake Coker, Amaka Osakwe, Yeni Kuti, Isoken Ogiemwonyi, Fade Ogunro, Folorunsho Alakija, Taofeek Abijako ( youngest Nigerian designer to present a full collection on New York Fashion week.), Ade Bakare, Frank Oshodi, Zizi cardow, Duro Olowu, and the list continues.
Fashion designing has no age restrictions. Fashion designing is the art of creating a lifestyle, an aesthetic, a personality, a statement with the use of designs. Fashion is more than just clothes, it’s about helping people, it’s not just about creating people’s looks. It is an extension and expression of who that person is. Fashion expresses our Identity, our wants or views . Fashion can be used as a political tool to communicate a message, positive or negative.
Universities And Polytechnics That Offer Fashion Designing In Nigeria
Fashion designing is acceptable as a course in some Universities and polytechnics.
Here are the list of Universities and polytechnics that offer fashion designing as a course:
- University of Abuja (UNIABUJA).
- Auchi polytechnic (AUCHI POLY)
- Kalac Christal Polytechnic (KCPOLY).
- Kano State Polytechnic (KANOPOLY).
- Ibarapa Polytechnic, Eruwa ( IBARAPA POLY).
- Jigawa state institute of information technology (JSIIT)
- Kaduna Polytechnic (KADPOLY).
- Delta State Polytechnic (DELTAPOLY).
- Yaba College of Technology (YABA TECH).
- Federal Polytechnic, Oko (OKO POLY).
- Benue State Polytechnic (BENPOLY).
- Hussaini Adamu Federal Polytechnic, Kazaure.
- Institute of Management Technology, Enugu (IMT ENUGU).
It is strongly advisable to attend a Polytechnic if you are considering fashion designing as a course in Nigeria. Polytechnics help with the practical accept of learning. Which is what you need if you want to be a good fashion designer. Lot’s of practical trainings and practices.
You might be wondering, what are the requirements to study fashion designing in Nigeria? Well here’s an answer to that question.
Requirements To Study Fashion Designing In A Nigerian Institution
To gain admission into any institution, exams and tests are written. The same goes for fashion designing, there are requirements that needs to be followed. Here’s a list of subjects you need in your jamb and your O’level result to be qualified to study fashion designing in any institution in Nigeria.
In a Nigerian University, you are required to have the following subjects in your jamb to study fashion designing:
- English language
- Any three arts and humanities subject. ( Science, physics, chemistry, mathematics, agricultural science, Biology).
While for WAEC/NECO, a total of 5 credit passes in needed in the following subjects:
- Technical drawing
- Home economics
- And three of the following (English language, literature in English, fine arts, history, clothes and textiles, biology, mathematics, physics, chemistry, Home management).
Fashion designing is a great course. I hope my article was of great help?
Thanks for reading.